Order a Birth Certificate
A Birth Certificate is your most valuable identification document and the primary identity document issued by the Province. It is needed when registering for school, applying for a passport and obtaining a driver's license and a Social Insurance Number.
Before you order a Birth Certificate:
1. Find out if you are eligible to apply for a Birth Certificate. If you are not eligible, you will need to provide an Authorization Form.
2. Choose the type of Birth Certificate:
Long Form Birth Certificate ($40.00) The document of choice for children 16 years of age and under, as it is generally required by government agencies, such as Passport Canada, SGI, Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development, and for school registration.
The Long Form Birth Certificate includes the individual's full name, date of birth, place of birth, sex, registration number and registration date, PLUS the parents' full names and their province/state and country of birth.
Short Form Birth Certificate ($35.00) Includes the individual’s full name, date of birth,
place of birth, sex, registration number and registration date and no
information about the parents
Please note that these certificates may not be ideal for children 16 years of age and under, as many government agencies require the additional information contained on the long form certificate.
- Certified Copy ($55.00) is a photocopy of the original birth registration. Certified copies are not recommended for use as identification purposes. These are typically used to apply for citizenship.
- Genealogy Copy ($55.00) contains all of the information that appears on the original birth registration and is stamped "FOR GENEALOGY ONLY".
A copy can only be ordered for births registered more than 100 years ago.
Genealogical copies are generally used for gathering family history or creating family trees.
3. Make sure you have the following information:
- Birth Subject
4. Have the following documents handy, as you will need to submit:
A copy of one piece of government-issued photo identification
- Copies of two other pieces of identification—one of which must contain your signature
- Plus, any other supporting documentation as determined in the
Electronic copies of your documents may be obtained by scanning or taking digital pictures of your documents. Please ensure that all information on your documents is readable.
5. Choose how to submit your order (online, mail, fax, email, or in person).
** Help us to process your request quicker by applying Online**
- You need to have a valid credit card to order online.
An online order must be completed in
one session. If you stop typing for longer than 30 minutes, your order will timeout and all of the information you entered will be lost. Please note that your order cannot be saved on your computer.
- If you order online, it means you accept our
Order by Mail, Fax or Email
Please complete and submit the following forms:
Send the completed forms, any necessary attachments and payment to eHealth Saskatchewan for processing. Payment can only be made by cheque, money order or credit card (MasterCard, Vanilla MasterCard or VISA).
Please note, if you are paying by cheque, the certificate will be sent out after payment is successfully processed, which could take up to six business days.
Order in Person
Birth Certificates are usually processed within four to six weeks of eHealth receiving your application. This does
not include mailing time.
Attention Applicant: To avoid delays, please ensure identification is included with your application.